The main aim of the project is providing a self urbanism model giving to the inhabitants the opportunity to decide where to situate a home, the way in which the individual relates with his surroundings, how to lead the future growth of the house, how to address the growing process of the urban fabric in an indeterminate open way to facilitate urban land regularization and prevent slum expansion through participatory lay-out planning
The design principles are: CONSERVATION OF traditional construction method, improved use of natural material and the possibility of self-construction
The plot is divided in three bands:
• the services band, a traditional rammed earth construction
• the room band, a modular dry construction in wood and bamboo
• the courtyard band, the core of the house where cooking, washing, playing and many COMMON social activities take place
The rooms layout, according to the family needs, will follow the expanding ratio of the wood-bamboo structure based on the m.1,80 x 2,70 module
the detached bamboo roofing structure provide shadow and rain protection to the room units, filtering the sun in the patios and improving cross ventilation
the modular system allows the increase of the space by reutilization of demountable panels to guarantee flexible extensions and connections
The kitchen is a SHARED separate space in the house that has a sink and some cupboards to store pots and pans and other kitchen utensils facing into the common patio.
There is a store room attached to the kitchen.
The COMMON services will be located along the border earth wall according to the installations provided
DRY CONSTRUCTION TECHNOLOGY
The design is based on the stratified dry construction principles and a hybridization methodology where is it possible to identify:
• a light supporting structure made by paired wood pillars and girders, with bolt ed joints on a rubble trench foundation , supporting a corrugated bamboo roofing sheets, bolted to bamboo joists, and the bamboo floors and ceilings
• an external envelop made by different kind of bamboo panels thought to protect by rain, filter the sun as movable louver and allow natural ventilation